I’m pleased to announce that I Ching, The Oracle: A Practical Guide to the Book of Changes is forthcoming mid-2023 by North Atlantic Books.
It’s my translation and annotations of the I Ching with cultural and historical references that honor the shamanic origins of the Oracle.
With this tome of a reference book, you’ll…
- Contextualize the origins of the I Ching within the framework of Chinese myths, legends, and cultural heroes
- Follow the development of I Ching scholarship and discourse from the Warring States period, the schism between New Text and Old Text schools, esoteric I Ching and the School of Mystery to its journey westward
- Learn the two main interpretive approaches, the Image and Number Tradition and the Meaning and Principle Tradition
- Integrate numerology and lunisolar astrology with the I Ching in Plum Blossom methods of divination
- Deepen your understanding of the eight trigrams (Ba Gua) and the five alchemical changing phases (Wu Xing), and how to apply the metaphysical correspondences in Taoist magic and ritual
- Learn various divination methods, from the yarrow stalk method circa 221 BC and the coin toss method from 200 AD to divination with cowrie shells, rice grains, and channeling. This text will also present a merger divination method of the Oracle with tarot.
- Connect with ancestors and East Asian cultural heritage through I Ching divination
- Understand the shamanistic-historical traditions of the I Ching, the eight gods of Shang shamanism, soul retrieval, and the invisible hand of folk gods and goddesses present in the Oracle
What I Ching, The Oracle really is, though, is a magical grimoire.
I began with an aspiration to write a grimoire on Taoist mysticism and magical practices, and then decided to do so through the framework of the I Ching.
With over 100 illustrations to pictorialize the culture and heritage of the Book of Changes and 90 correspondence tables that will become an indispensable reference to the practitioner, I Ching, The Oracle also includes over 40 practical exercises in methods of divination, spell-crafting, and spiritual cultivation. This is going to be a hands-on primer on East Asian modalities of witchcraft and folk magic.
My objective is to impart a deep-dive learning experience into the history and mythological references found in the Book of Changes, keyed specifically with transcendental spiritualism in mind.